Monday 26 July 2010

Found a booklover's dream

Quite a while ago, I ordered a reprint of Bram Stoker’s “The Lair of the White Worm” over amazon. It came from a publisher I had not encountered before, but that happens every once in a while.


Today, while surfing the net and waiting for my desktop pc to be done with a defragmentation, I got the idea of checking the site of Forgotten Books. That was the publisher I got Stoker’s novel from. Now, forgotten Books isn’t just a publisher, they do much more. For a one-time payment, you gain access to their much better membership e-books (pdf-files which you can also read on your computer) of all volumes they keep on their servers. And there’s lots of stuff on their servers... You can download all of them in a low quality without any payment, giving you the chance to read the classics which quite often are hard to get otherwise today. You don’t need space on a bookshelf for them (I love books, but I’m running very, very low on space for them by now). You can check out books without having to buy them, read them on the whole and then decide whether you need a paperback (which you can then buy over amazon).


And it’s not just fiction, there’s also old science texts, philosophical ones and many, many more. Given the fact that the membership isn’t all that expensive, it’s quite an idea for me. A hoard of texts I’ve always wanted to read lie ahead of me.

No comments: