Saturday 5 March 2022

Work Update

Last Monday, “Theoretical Necromancy Vol. 2” was released, so it is time again to do an update on my current work and my planned projects.

I have plotted a lot of different projects the last couple of months and all of them will eventually get written — I hope. First of all, though, here is an update on my release schedule:

  • May 2022: The Fourth Reich (standalone novel)
  • August 2022: The Haunting of Winterthorne Hall (standalone novel)
  • November 2022: The Necromancer’s Notebook (Isadora Goode Vol. 2, 3 novellas)
  • February 2023: The Lady of the Dead (standalone short story collection)
  • May 2023: DI Colin Rook Vol. 1 (short story collection)


Here are my current projects which are not yet written.

Novels:

  • Murder at Siegfried’s Rest (standalone mystery)
  • The Phantom (might be first in a series of thrillers)
  • Killer Investigation (standalone mystery)
  • Bred for Power (standalone superhero story)
  • The Black Friar of Milton Manor (standalone mystery/thriller)
  • The Templar’s Cross (standalone horror story)
  • Manor Murder (standalone mystery, title may still change)
  • The Curse of the Devil’s Voice (set in the Theoretical Necromancy world)
  • Shadow and Sun (standalone cultivation story)
  • Changing Plans (standalone superhero story)
  • The Strange Case of the Scorned Spectre (might be first in a series of mysteries)
  • Sword and Dagger (might be first in a series of fantasy police procedurals)


Novellas:

  • The Mastermind Trilogy (3 heist-type stories)
  • The Eye Vol. 2 (Vol. 2 of The Eye series)
  • The Misadventures of Isadora Goode (Vol. 3 of the Isadora Goode series)
  • John Stanton — Agent of the Crown Vol. 3 (Vol. 3 of the John Stanton series)



Short Story Collections:

  • On An Adventure (standalone adventure stories)
  • Vampire Hunt and Other Stories (set in the Theoretical Necromancy world)
  • Hunters (standalone horror/pulp stories)
  • The Crew (standalone horror/pulp stories)
  • Fallen Angel (standalone horror/pulp stories)
  • Scholomancer (standalone horror/pulp stories)
  • Creatures United (standalone horror/pulp stories)


As you can see, there’s a lot of stuff to write. I will have to focus very much on my writing to make sure I get all of it done in time. There’s still three projects caught in plotting which might or might not happen and are, therefore, not added here. Everything that I have listed is plotted out and can be written as soon as I get to it. Everything listed for release is already written. The lists are not in any special order, just in the one in which they’re on my kaban board, which is completely random.
I usually can do a project in about one month if I really focus on it, so I could, theoretically do about ten a year (having about half the month during my four release months of the year), but I rarely get more than six or so done — real life has a way of intervening as in January and February this year.
My main problem in recent months was that I had ideas for new stories, researched and plotted them, and didn’t write as much as I should and could have done. Yet, I also need a break here and there, so I won’t really stop doing this. It re-fuels my imagination.
After reading a couple of cultivation novels (I have a review for one coming up), I wanted to try my hands at this, too, which is how “Shadow and Sun” came to be.
I wanted to do a homage to Hammer films and ended up with the plot to “Fallen Angel”.
I watched the old German Edgar Wallace movies and from them was motivated to plot “The Black Friar of Milton Manor” as my own take on the genre.
“The Phantom” has its roots in my love not so much for the Fantomas novels, but the three French Fantomas movies. I have taken some of the basics from there, but changed even more.

Such things happen. They make sense and they can lead to a lot of fun. They also lead to even more projects. I’m looking at several years of work, looking at the lists above. In the end, however, it will be worth it.

No comments: