Wednesday 4 November 2009

On discipline

Discipline is something any writer desperately needs. I’m sometimes lacking it – both at the keyboard and in my life. I get easily sidetracked – which isn’t a good thing, most of the time.


At the same time, writing has helped me to gain at least some self-discipline. I have learned how to refocus on something after I’ve gotten sidetracked. That has been a big help in my life already, so don’t try to tell me writing stories without getting published is a useless waste of time.

Discipline is what gets me to the keyboard every evening (with very, very little exceptions) and discipline is what makes me stick on to a story until I’m really, really, really stuck (or absolutely sure it sucks).


When I was younger, I always thought discipline was something that would diminish or even destroy my creativity, now I know it’s not. It helps me to direct the creativity in a way that actually makes my ideas come true.


Discipline is necessary for a writer – but you can have too much of it, too, I guess.

No comments: