Saturday 18 August 2018

A Bit About The Loki Files


As I just posted my changed release schedule, which now includes a couple of novellas I wrote a few years ago, but haven’t professionally published so far, I thought I might tell you a little bit about how The Loki Files happened and what is to be expected of this month’s and November’s releases.

It started out in February 2014, when I finally got around to watching “Marvel’s The Avengers” (pretty late, yes). Like so many other fans, I fell in love with Tom Hiddleston’s Loki, but my imagination was too far-spread to just write some Marvel Loki fan-fiction (not that those can’t be great, mind you). Instead, I developed some kind of other reality, which retained some details (such as Loki being adopted by Odin and raised as Thor’s brother), but changed a lot of other things. I made a lot of twists in Norse mythology for this, but since my Loki actually spread a lot of those stories, it was his decision to spread misinformation. Typical for the trickster god, of course.
The Loki of my world was found and adopted by Odin. As a teenager, he rebelled against his family after finding out about this. He was the odd one out - the dark-haired mage among the light-haired warriors. For quite a while, Odin didn’t know what to do with him, then, as a last resort, he gave Loki a job. Odin made Loki his right arm, his agent to do all the work which the warriors of Asgard were not capable of. And in this new position which gave him freedom, but also a direction, Loki thrived and turned from a troublesome adolescent into a rather dutiful adult. Yet, he’s still very close to his brother (and his mother) and the two of them have a talent for getting into trouble, which is basically half of the stories.

The first of the stories, “Heart of Ice,” has a bit of really dark stuff in it. I had Loki (almost) lose the woman he’s in love with and grow depressed afterwards. Things end on a much higher note, but I found some of the scenes in this one hard to write. A little later, I returned to that new world I had created for another story, this one a light and funny buddy story which centres around Thor and Loki. “Birth of Gods” was a change to shake things up a little and it worked out very well. I introduced Loki’s talent for knife-throwing in this one. With “Agents of Asgard,” I gave Loki a little more to do than before and had him assemble a team. He got his personal weapon in this one as well and I had a lot of fun writing it, too. These three stories will be compiled into “The Loki Files Vol. 1.”
I continued the stories with “Blood of Rulers,” which saw the end of a long war. The story was interesting enough and I got to write more about the Sidhe, which is also a good thing. Afterwards, “Protectors of Earth” brought in a long-term love interest for Thor (a very long-term one, they go way back) and had Loki find allies on earth. I finished the series up with “Servants of Life” and a severe threat to Asgard. In it, I tidied up a lot, which was good, since I’ve not written another story about this specific Loki ever since. These three novellas will be compiled into “The Loki Files Vol. 2.”

I have written several other stories about different versions of Loki, related to Odin and not, his age and not, a frost giant prince, a frost giant with two dangerous brothers… I’ve written a lot of different stuff in the one and a half years before I started writing the Knight Agency (but enough about that). Yet, it was Loki who pushed me back to writing more than the occasional piece of short erotica or PWP. And that is why I want to share the first Loki stories I wrote with the audience now.

“The Loki Files Vol. 1” will be released at the end of this month and “The Loki Files Vol. 2” will follow in November. The e-books will be cheaper than my regular work - not that they are worth less, but I feel it’s right, since they were available at Feedbooks for free before.

No comments: